Why take this course?
Technology is supposed to make life easier and simpler. But often we find ourselves unable to keep up with changes and wasting time trying to either fix the broken right tool or make the wrong tool do the job. This course will help you make your workplace more technology-friendly. You’ll learn how to make the most of computers, telephones, instant messaging, e-mail, contact management applications and scheduling software.
With topics ranging from setting IT budgets, making the best software and training choices and planning system usage policies to managing security and privacy issues, making telecommuting work well and dealing with workplace rage, we’ll get you on the road toward a safer, smarter and more productive workplace.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at managers and supervisors who need to maintain a safe and productive workplace. It is especially helpful for organizations that lack a centralized IT function, or that are responsible for their own technology budgets.
After completing this course, you will be able to
- make your workplace technology-friendly.
- make the most of computers, telephones, instant messaging, e-mail, contact management applications and scheduling software.
- communicate better with the IT department.
- make the best software and training choices.
- set an IT budget.
- address technological issues.
- set expectations and responsibilities for security and privacy.
- keep employees safe and healthy.
- develop and implement a system usage policy.
- implement policies for dealing with company property.
- decide whether employees should telecommute.
- make telecommuting work.
- deal with workplace rage.
What topics are covered?
Making Your Company a Technology-Friendly Place
- Tips and tricks
- Acme Consulting, Part One
Communicating with the IT Department
Choosing Software Wisely
- The Three-Step Process
- Acme Consulting, Part Two
- Types of training
- Training tips
Setting an IT Budget
- Budget basics
- The shrinking budget
Security and Privacy
- An Employee’s Rights
- Doing your part
- An Employer’s Rights
Uncontrolled vs. Controlled Networks
System Usage Policies
- What is a System Usage Policy?
- Sample Internet, Email and Computer Usage Policy
- Acme Consulting, Part Three
Taking Care of Company Property
- Basic rules of etiquette
- Role play
- Email applications
- Email etiquette
- Scheduling applications
- Contact management applications
- What is telecommuting?
- Preparing for telecommuting
- To telecommute or not to telecommute